Desk clutter is inevitable. We all have busy lives and things can sometimes pile up especially when we are in the midst of multiple projects.
Know your limits – if your desk has gotten so cluttered that it’s affecting your creativity and productivity, it’s time to take action.
One technique I use to help clients clear clutter quickly and easily is what I call the Quick Sort method.
The Quick Sort Method…
- Gather all the papers on your desk and put in one large pile
- Have a “trash”, “recycle” and “shred” bin handy
- As you are gathering things, toss anything you know can be thrown out
- Put things that already have a designated place where they belong
- Fan through the pile and pull out bulky items such as CD’s, brochures, magazines, newspapers and manuals.
Create separate piles for each of the bulkier items. This will whittle down the pile significantly
Pull out all unopened mail and create a separate stack for them
Pull out all scraps of paper with notes on them and put in a separate pile. Once you’ve done this you should be left with a neat stack of papers.
TIP: if you “shake out” the stack of papers all the mail and scraps of paper will fall out. This makes it easier to consolidate them
Now it’s time to make some decisions. Did you know that clutter is often the result of delayed decision making? Go through each document and sort based on categories – Some common categories are: To Do, To File, To Read
TIP: Keep a stack of empty file folders next to you while you are going through the stack of papers so you can create files on the spot.
- Work through the whole pile of papers until you’ve made a decision on each one. Once you have sorted the papers into categories, go ahead and file the ones that are to be filed. If you need help with your filing system check out How To Organize Your Files Like a Pro for a step by step guide!
You’ll be amazed at how clear headed you’ll feel after clearing the clutter from your desk.. I’m confident you’ll feel greater creativity and productivity as a result.
Have you tried the Quick Sort Method? Maybe you have your own tips for dealing with desk clutter. Leave a comment below and let us know!
Angela, #13 is missing! –otherwise, great tips.
Oops – thanks for letting me know Gail. I was in the process of making some edits to the piece, didn’t realize it was live. All done now:)
Enjoy and please let me know how you do with the Quick Sort method. Leave a comment below!
Hey Angela! This is just what I needed today to eliminate some of the clutter on my desk and get clear and focused for 2013 – implementing right now, will let you know how it goes – thanks a bunch and Happy New Year!!!
Susan!!!! So good to hear from you. Yes, please let me know how it goes. Your new website looks gorgeous. Congratulations and make sure to put me on your list so I can keep up with all the exciting developments. Angela