Is your desk overrun with “stuff”. Below is a list of the top 25 clutter culprits to watch out for and what to do about them. Take charge of your desk. Do you most productive and creative work ever!
1. Mail – Open. File, Toss, Pay or Put in Tickler File. Put outgoing mail in a tray by the door
2. Catalogs – Review then Toss. Call customer service dept and ask them to remove you from their mailing list if you don’t want to receive it.
3. Invitations – RSVP, Put in Calendar, Put in Tickler File
4. Old Newspapers – Yesterday’s News – Toss
5. Magazines – Review, Read , Pass along to someone else or Toss
6. Scraps of Paper with Notes Scribbled On Them – Use notebook to capture your ideas, to do items, meeting notes and telephone numbers
7. Clipped Articles – Start a folder for the category. If info is available on line, Toss
8. Filing – Put away if there is an existing file. Put in a “To File” basket or Create a file on the spot. Always keep fresh file folders handy to create files easily.
9. Keys – Set up a dish or small tray on your desk to keep small items easily accessible
10. Coins – Dish on desk
11. Wallet – Dish on desk
12. Glasses – Dish on desk
13. Netflix – Watch or return; put with outgoing mail by the door
14. Gift Cards – Put in wallet with you bank and credit cards so you remember to use it. If you don’t think you will use it, pass it on to someone who will.
15. Business Cards – Enter into your contacts; Put in business card holder
16. Software Installation CDs – Store in plastic sleeves in binder. Keep product keys and codes. Toss the rest of the packaging.
17. Photos – Frame and display. Label the back and put in with memorabilia. If it is business related, put in a file for the event.
18. Technology that needs to be repaired (phone, iPod, camera etc.) – Call an expert to fix it. If you haven’t used it in over 6 months, gift it to someone who wants it and can fix it easily.
19. Old Technology that you no longer use but has important info on it (music, photos and files) – Call an expert to repair it. If a year has passed and you haven’t repaired it, Toss or give to someone else who can fix and enjoy it.
20. Old Chargers – Recycle. Staples accepts all old electronics.
21. Take Out Containers – Toss ASAP!
22. Organizing Tools that don’t work for you – Gift to someone else who can use it, return or Toss
23. Borrowed Items – Return ASAP!
24. Power Chords – Gather and use Velcro ties to bundle and organize
25. Manuals – If you haven’t referenced it for over a year and are pretty comfortable with the technology, Toss.
Are there things you’d like to add to our list? Leave a comment and let us know!